"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Friday, August 7, 2009

Before my very eyes

photo source
I looked out the window this morning and saw a beautiful picture. My daughter was singing, while swinging, with a smile on her face. It was pure joy to watch. For one moment I experienced a deep sense of peace and joy. And then without a concious choice, in my mind's eye, it was as if I could see her 20 years old and too big for the swing. She will be absolutely stunning when she is twenty... but, the moment brought a tinge of sadness. She is growing up right before my eyes.

She changes daily. Her body. Her mind. Her emotions. Her relationship with me, with her brother, with her Father. She is changing before our very eyes. It truly is a sight to see. She is wonderful and I love her. It is such an interesting mom-thing to want them to stay little forever and yet want them to grow... imagining all God might have good planned for her. It is a strange mixture of wonder, excitement, fear, worry and sadness. All a mix of emotions.

When I have these moments, I feel such an urgent desire to pray for her. I so want her to be happy, safe, healthy and wise. I so long for her to know the Lord, to love Him and to live as one loved by Him. I want her to love Him more than I do, I want her to love His word more than I do. So, this is where I find myself tonight. I hand over my sweet daughter. I hand her, in prayer, back to my Lord... for she belongs to Him. He kindly knit her together in my womb 11 years ago and had began a good work in her. I can hand her to Him and know that He will bring her to completion in His time. I can trust Him for He loves her deeply... more love than I can begin to imagine.

Father, she belongs to you. Bless her and keep her. Turn your countenance toward her and give her peace.