Thursday, April 11, 2013
I am not sure why. Certainly there are many thoughts dancing around in my head and many discussion going on in my heart; but, my fingers have just felt strangely quiet. And, that is okay.
I haven't been writing lately. But, I have been counting... I think I will forever count my way to 1,000 with Ann Voskamp. It is such a gift to me from God!
In a book I was recently reading, it was recommended that I "fall in love with something and/or someone every day; even if it is only a tree. Love is the key. Love conquers." When I read that advice, my heart leapt. This is why I count and search and recount the beauty of God's gifts of grace to me! I am looking for love. I am looking for Love--- Him: Love-Himself displayed in the works of His hands and the gifts of grace given to me each day.
So, here are a few of the things I fell in love with this past week:
#200. A long phone conversation with my mom.
201. My son making pancakes for breakfast.
202. Morning kisses.
206. The deep growl of the dog as she plays.
#210. Bird song.
212. The cool wind in my hair.
216. Learning to lean in and lean on love.
221. The crackling sound of the fire place.
222. The beautiful blowing towels on the line drying in the wind.
227. He shares his heart with me. Connection.
228. A truck comes every week and takes away my trash!
233. Every chair filled.
235. Worship together.
Tuesday, April 2, 2013
And my lips are chapped.
I am feeling a bit hungry... but, maybe my stomach is a bit upset today. I don't know.
Laundry is spinning loudly and I don't think my second load will all fit in the washing machine. Will I have to do three loads? ...where will I hang them all to dry?
Oh! And, I can't forget to get the crock pot started this morning or dinner won't be ready in time.
And, that mold really needs to be sprayed... And, that email that I haven't yet responded to...
Sometimes life just seems so very humdrum and physical, doesn't it? ...the comings and goings. ...the pains and aches. ...the "to do" list that never gets entirely accomplished. ...the down-to-earth that seems to suffocate and consume. Almost like I can walk through one-step-at-a-time in a lifeless, simply "doing", sort of way.
It is easy to get caught up in the mundane and the every-day tasks of life. That is my reality. These laundry piles are a very real part of my world.
It is easy to forget the other Reality.
"The Lord Almighty is with us" (Psalm 46:7). These words jumped off the page this morning as I wandered slowly through His word.
He is on my side. ...right beside me. with me. ...a forever refuge and a place of Presence. He is with us. The Lord Almighty, maker of Heaven and earth, is with us... always with us, to the very ends of the age (Matthew 28:20)
He is with us. He is with you. How often I forget this! Do you?
I picked up my list to continue my counting... my God's hunt. I want to see Him more in my everyday. I believe He is always present. I am asking for awareness.
Can I see Him today in the beauty of the blue sky and hear His musical talents in the sound of the bird call outside my window? Can I find Him in the gray and the rain? Can I feel Him in the breath-taking, cold breeze or taste His creativity in my morning coffee? Can I smell the work of His hands in the paprika sprinkled in my crock pot?
When my boy leans in for a hug, can I sense His heart in the love and tenderness I feel? Can I see these, each one, as gifts from His alive and active hand in my life... I want to see more, Father. Teach me to see. Hear. I want to taste that you are good today!
So, I keep counting my way to 1,000 gifts with Ann Voskamp. Asking for open eyes and an open heart, I want to see Him more. I want to see Him in the mundane and beyond the physical. I wonder if we can fill that crock pot together today...
Sharing with you a few items from my Easter "egg" hunt this past week:
#170. Sweet cuddles from my boy.
#174. Cold air on my face... waking me!
176. He prepares a table for me, even in the midst of my enemies (Psalm 23)
179. A time to process forgiveness with my girl. The struggle to forgive and God's grace given to release.
180. Sharing deeply with my husband. Wrestling through my own sins and the healing still needed in my heart.
182. Strong emotion.
184. Hot chocolate that brings smiles.
189. Gifts of kindness and care.
192. Daddy and kiddos make a drum together!
196. Bright sun and blue skies.
197. Warm clothes and warm socks and warm blankets.
198. Bird song that wakens my heart out of the mundane and into the Presence.