"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sunshine and Rain

Sunshine and rain.

Rarely do they go together. But, when they do... it is spectacular!

I sat today. A moment of quiet. While I waited for my children's lessons to be through, I sat in the rain.

The rain was pounding on the top of my car. The noise itself drowned out and interrupted the music coming from my CD player. It was a massive downpour. And, then, all of a sudden the sun began to shine. It kept raining. But, the sun was shining on the rain. While it poured, the sun lit up the rain all around me. It was remarkable.

God's amazing beauty and glory was shining forth that very moment. ...as the rain poured down.

I wonder if that is what it might be like when we "rejoice in suffering" or "count it pure joy my brothers when you face trials of many kind".

The dark, ominous, loud rain was softened and brightened... breathtaking and beautiful...

Is this what might happen to my sorrows, my trials, my disappointments?

Would they change colors and be radiant if I saw them through joyful lenses, a thankful heart, and knowledge of God's goodness and Glory.

What if I noticed His light shining on my pain? What if the sunshine, the glory of God, shone down on all my rain. Wouldn't it make my trials beautiful? Might there be rejoicing in the suffering, if the "rain" looked that beautiful in God's glory?

When the sun peered through the clouds and shone brilliantly on the rain today, I instinctively looked for a rainbow. I didn't see one. But, I knew that there was a real possibility that there was one... there could be one... there might be one any minute now!

... isn't that hope? What welled up in my heart that quiet moment in the rain was joy, awe and hope. What would this sunshine... these things... joy, awe, and hope do to my personal "rain"?

Sunshine and rain. God's beauty shining through.