"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Thursday, January 3, 2013

One Word

I can't remember when I started the tradition... was it in college?  I don't know.  But, for years now, I have always picked one word to focus on... or to pray, really... and ask the Lord to grow me in the coming year.  There have been years where it took a while to listen, to pray, and to seek this "one word".   This year my word was as clear as day.  I knew it the moment I thought to ask God...

Freedom.

When I sat for even a few minutes asking, Father what would You have me ask from You this year?  

I knew.  Freedom, Stephanie.  More freedom...  

I believe that God is inviting me to be more freely me:  that "me" He intends, He purposed and He created.  I believe He is inviting me to live more freely in who I am, what I think and what I feel.  ...to say what I think.  To feel what I feel.  And, to be who I am.

For so long the opinions of others, the fear of man and the many "voices" and expectations have informed the "me" and shaped who I am.  I want more freedom from these things... these other voices.  I am asking God that I might know more of who He says I am, who He created me to be!  

Freedom to be me.

And, freedom from... 

Freedom from worry and fear and control and perfection and angst.   I believe that God is inviting me to walk fully free from these things... as I grow in trust and peace and rest in Him alone.  I actually never again have to be worried.  What a thought!  I am free from this.  I can walk in full freedom from fear and worry.

Freedom to...

and freedom from...

This is my prayer for 2013.    Teach me Father, I ask!  

What would you ask God for this year?