"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How long wicked grumblers?

My husband reminded us this morning of God's words to the Israelites "How long will this wicked community grumble against me?"

He had provided a miracle of manna for them and they complained.

How is it possible that I can grumble at the Lord when He so obviously and extravagantly provides for me. And, yet I do. I did this morning.
I was so anxious today about the details of moving into our "manna" house, that I felt like I had had way too many cups of coffee... this today was my form of grumbling.

Essentially my morning was filled with worry about the "how", the "when" and the "what if"... Oh, my grumbling heart.

I appreciated my husband's words, but they came as a bit of a slap. They were on target. They were spoken in truth and in love. And they were spoken by God to me.

What would my life look like if I trusted my Father truly, if I lived a life according to the all familiar Philipians 4 passage...
Rejoice in the Lord...

What would it look like if I LIVED rejoicing. The Lord is near.

Who would I be if I lived aware of His nearness. Do not worry about anything.

I can hardly imagine living in this freedom. No worry. Don't worry!? How?... Ahh, but here is the rub... I know how! I have been clearly told how... but in everything, with Thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.

Ahh... there is the answer. He tells me to just talk to Him. Tell my good, trustworthy, faithful, kind Father about it and thank Him.

And the peace of Christ will guard your heart and mind.

The Peace of God Almighty as a guard, a fortress, a wall around my heart and my mind. What an amazing promise!

As the day continued there was some victory in this. But the battle for victory was more painful than it need be, I think. I fought a few times... rejected worry, chose thankfulness and talked with my Father asking Him for help. I have won the great prize of peace. I am sitting in it right now as I write. But, I know the key is to live in it. The key is to remain in Him, isn't it?

I can remain. I can rejoice. I can look for His presence. I can be thankful. I can ask Him and trust His answers.
Oh, Lord, lead me forward in truth. How long will I grumble against you? Forgive me.