"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Talkin with dad

My kids really love talking with their dad. They like to discuss thing with me, too. But, there seems to be something very special, and very unique, about their conversations with their father. It might be because he can answer a lot of their questions, he banters with them, pokes and probes with them, and always adds levity to any subject... they just love a dialogue with him.

Recently, each morning, my husband has been starting his day with a half hour of reading to the kids from Scripture and then they discuss together... "what jumped out at you from this passage?" They love this! It is almost funny to watch. It is almost like they "feel grown-up" to be having this intellectual conversation with Daddy. They truly attempt to engage him in an almost adult-like mimic.

They ask. They probe. The make grand theological statements about God's love, man's sin and Satan. They share their feelings and they make all sorts of connections---sweet insights from their childish minds. "This is like the time when I lied and felt really bad.... Do you think Abraham felt bad when he lied? Why did he lie? Was it really a lie, Daddy? Sarah was his brother... sort-of!?... Is it always bad to lie?" ----and the conversation continues through and over the breakfast table.

They just love to talk. But, it seems more than them loving just to hear their own voice. They aren't just talking for vocalize their opinions. They love to talk with him. It is the engagement they seem to love. They love the banter and the questions he asks them. He asks. He probes. He shares his feelings and his insight.

This. This is what I want with my Heavenly Father. I want to continue to learn to talk to Him and with Him. I want to ask and to probe. I want to share my feelings. I want to engage with Him and hear from Him. I want Him to ask of me, to poke, and to share His feelings and thoughts with me. I want to talk with my Father... I want to converse with my Daddy.

O Father, please keep teaching me this. Attune my heart, my mind, my ears, and my eyes to you! Please engage me and keep my heart soft to hearing You. I want to know You more and to know Your voice. I want to talk with You, my Father.

There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful than that of a continual conversation with God. - Brother Lawrence