"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Friday, November 27, 2020

Sabbatical Reflections: Words on a Page #26 TV-The Sad, Sad Truth


 

TV- The Sad, Sad Truth

They feel like family, these pretend friends. 

Lights, sounds and transmissions flicker on the screen. 

I come home from school and I can't wait!  

Backpack dropped.  Coat and shoes chucked off.  


Quick!  Grab a snack... 

Drop down into the well-worn couch. 

We eat together, and I tell you about my day.

I watch you laugh and it brings me comfort.


Each day, I visit my mother and my father living in a box.

After school cookies and milk with Julie, our cruise director.

Ice cream with a Silver Spoon and Benson. 

Learning the Facts of Life with Jack, Janet and Chrissy.  


Alone in this world, I watch you cry and fight.

I cringe while you escape fire and disease and I am with you.

I join you to laugh.  I join you and I cry.

Your safety is my joy.  Your victory my win.


My young heart feels connection.  

Someone else had a hard day!

We commiserate together over chips and soda. 

You say the words of love I long to hear. 


Signals traverse through the air, they warm.

Like a much needed hug, the wrap around me.

Transmissions touch the gaping hole of loneliness.

You are there every day, my friends!  


Your presence just a click away.

Hours and hours and hours together.  

Your fun and antics tell me I am not alone.

These are the 80s realities.


Raise your glass... Cheers! 

Let's drink to television!

What in the world have we done!?

So, are the Days of Our Lives.  



Written September 2020