"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Monday, November 30, 2020

Sabbatical Reflections: Words on a Page #27 Crutch

 


Crutch and Cistern

Broken and twisted gait
Crutches needed 
For far too long
I think I am ready to let go.

Age old mechanisms
Survival needed
Modes to steady
Finally I am ready to release.

My legs are strong now.
Trusting muscles hold me.
Rock hard core
I don't need you anymore.

You crutch!  You, cisterns.
Watered and fed me.
Carried me with stale drink.
My tastes have changed. 

I know living water now
I know steady foundations
Will I release and let go?
Will I walk freely and drink fresh?

Hands off and letting go
I feel the wobble.
Worry floods... 
Can my legs hold me?

As I walk free, I feel thirst.
Stagnant pools draw
Familiar tastes tug at my mouth.
Will I walk free from these crutches?




Written October 2020



John 8:36  "If the Son sets you free, you can be free indeed!"

Jeremiah 2:13 "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water."