"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Intention game

What does it really matter when I intend to do something and don't? I am reminded of the two sons that Jesus tells us about... one who says he will help and then doesn't, one who says he won't help and then ends up helping. What does it really matter when I say I am going to do something... and don't? Intentions don't really amount to much at all without the doing.

I have intended to exercises lately. Great. But, does that make any bit of difference in the actual health of my body... my intention? In fact, to be quiet honest, it can be argued that the intention without the follow-through is more detrimental than helpful. I am certainly conscious of my intentions. Therefore, when I don't follow through I know my failure keenly. Failure can bring discouragement. Discouragement can begin a cycle of the "fixing-it" heart techniques that include more good intentions. And, so the circle begins. The intention game begins.

I have intended to eat better lately. Fabulous, right? What do my intentions do for me exactly?...

I have intended to guard my tongue lately...

I have intended to pray more consistently throughout my day...

I have intended to read more... to shut off the television...

I have intened to not worry about this or that...

I have intended...

So, Christ asks the crowd, "What do you think?". He asks the crowd for their opinion regarding his story of the two sons. Which son did what the father wanted, he asks them. The answer is so plain. The son who actually does what the father asks is the son in the right.

I want to be the right son. I want to do what I intend to do. Why do I do what I don't want to do and can't seem to do what I want to do? Hmmm... sound familiar (Romans 7)? "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God-through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

So, my game of intentions is played and failed... oh, what a wretched one I am! Thanks be to the God and my Lord Jesus Christ!

Oh kind Father, help me to follow-through on my good intentions. It matters what I do and not only what I say, I know Lord. Forgive me, Lord when I fail. When I am like that one son who says "I will" and yet don't, please forgive me. Help me to do what I say I want to do, to do what I know you want me to do... give me Your strength, Your perspective and Your perseverance. Thank you for Your grace, mercy and unfailing love. I stand on it.