"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Gift of a Dream

God spoke to my heart through a dream last night. He has used dreams a few times in my life. Last night I saw a picture in my sleep and woke immediately knowing it was from God. Interestingly enough, past dreams that I believe have been from God have mostly have been about my heart; and in particular, these dreams have been about my sin. Last night God spoke to my sin through a dream.

The details of the dream aren't important. The important part of this moment in my journey is the message that I woke up with at 2 am. I woke up this morning knowing (praying, actually) that I needed to be "wearing Christ". More specifically I needed to be "wearing" thankfulness, worship, joy and grace. It can be quite easy for me to "wear" complaint, discouragement, fear or judgement. I saw this in my dream. I believe God's hand was at work in my dream world and He was speaking loud and clear. Stephanie, clothe yourself in Me.


Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature. Romans 13

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3

All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5

So many Scriptures come to mind and I am moved to begin afresh praying that I would put-on Christ each day.

The other (and more important) part of the dream and consequently the "knowledge" that I woke with... is that I need to put these things on, I need to "wear" thankfulness and grace, most specifically AT HOME. It is an easy thing to say that we are most real with those we love. It is easy to say that those we are closest to get the hardest, harshest and most raw treatment from us--- but it should not be this way. I was struck this early morning by the fact that my "wearing" of complaints and grumbling was most affecting my home. I was struck this early 2 am morning that I need to put-on Christ in my home, with my husband and with my children.

The beauty of last night is that God did not leave well enough alone. He had a follow-up discussion prepared in my daily reading this morning! I love that! This is what I read the morning after my dream:

"Accompany me to-day, O Holy Spirit, in all my goings, but stay with me also when I am in my own home and among my kindred. Forbid that I should fail to show to those nearest to me the sympathy and consideration which thy grace enables me to show to others with whom I have to do. Forbid that I should refuse to my own household the courtesy and politeness which I think proper to show to strangers. Let charity today begin at home." ~John Baillie

He says "forbid". Forbid, dear Lord, that I should be unkind, complaining, harsh or judgmental to my own family. Forbid it, Lord. Forbid that I should not show mercy to my children and my husband when you show me mercies new every morning. Forbid it Lord! Forbid that I not wear the grace and joy that You have bought with such a precious price!

It started with a dream... it was knowledge and conviction ...and then a mid-night prayer... it was an early morning reading... and now, yet, another prayer.

Thank you for the dream, Lord. Let charity today begin at home.