"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Thursday, December 3, 2009

So many books...

So many books... so little time. Or more accurate to the truth in my life, so many books... so little effort given to reading.

I sat down to read tonight. I have been "attempting" to read this book for the past 6 months and truly, I have loved this book. It has been encouraging, challenging and has honed my faith. I picked it up again tonight and browsed the "recommended reading" list in the back of the book. It was like a mouth watering menu at a favorite restaurant. The list from this trusted author was so inviting. I wanted to read them all! I marked them and now intend to add them to my "wish list" on Amazon. Ah!, my wish list. I have a book-wish list online and another one on the book shelf here at home. Books, piles of books, I wish to be reading.

It would be nice to say that I don't have time to read, but that wouldn't be true. I do have time to read. It isn't like I have a boatload of time to read, of course... but I do have time. I just so rarely choose to spend that time reading. If I devoted myself to reading and dove into that pile o' books, I know the dent I could make in the pile. If I simply gave 20 minutes here or and a half an hour there, I know I could make my way through that book wish list. And, I know my soul would be better off from the endeavor, as well.

There have been distinct times in my life when I chosen reading over other "less-soul enhancing" activities. I have made choices with my time to read and it has impacted me greatly. I am ready for that again. I am ready for a push from the Lord and a dive into this inviting menu of wish-books on my shelf.

So many books... so little effort given to reading. I want this to change.