"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ever hear God sing?

Early this morning I had a horrible dream. I knew that it was a dream while in it, but could not “make” myself wake up. It was torturous. So, I fought as I have learned to fight in dreams like these. In these dreams, I have learned to call on the name of Jesus with persistence until I am delivered. Early in the dark morning and in the dark dream, I did fight this way. Hard and long, or so it felt, I screamed the name of Jesus.

When finally I broke free from the dream and awoke to the light of morning, I immediately heard a song in my head. The song has been “singing” in my head ever since.

“The Lord you God is with you, He is mighty to save!
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save!
He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing! The Lord your God is with you!”

This song that is playing in my mind is a beautiful rendition of Zephaniah 3:17. Recently, I have been listening to it and other Scripture songs on the
Seed’s Worship Album (a fabulous resource for children or adults!). The beauty of Scripture is being sung to me even as I write this blog. What a sweet message to wake up to after a rough dream!

As I ponder the words of this verse/song, I am amazed afresh at their meaning.

The Lord your God is with you.

The truth of God’s presence alone does wonders for my soul.

I was just reading a prayer written by St. Patrick in AD 433…
“Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me,Christ in me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left…”
(*As quoted in Intimate Intercession by Tricia Rhodes)

What might my life be like if I would always remember “my” God, the Almighty Creator of heaven and earth, is with me?! I believe I would know more joy, peace and power if I walked in this truth more often.


He is mighty to save!

I love that this is the song that played directly after my dream. When I couldn't “save” myself in my dream, it was His name that delivered me! Did He watch me dream, remind my mind to fight in His name and then whisper “awake” and then ... sing to me, “I am with you! I will save you”. What a beautiful thought! We can find perfect rest in God, His presence and his strength to save us!

He will take great delight in you.

What a mind-blowing thought! The God of the Universe delights, great delight, in you! What?!! Me? This one seems to be the most difficult one for me to swallow and believe, truly believe. Do I believe that God loves me dearly and that His love is unfailing and without bounds? YES! I could preach a 40 minute sermon on it! (smile) But, somewhere in my depths, I do have this inkling of wonder at how He could possibly “delight” in me. I believe it fully with one part of my being and question it somewhere else deep within.

Does He delight in my husband? Can I see it? Absolutely! My daughter? Without a doubt! My son? Certainly! My teammate or best friend… ? I have no problem “seeing” that! But, Stephanie? Hmm… still somewhere deep within there is a hesitation. He has brought much healing to that hesitation, to be sure! Deep, deep within I believe it more than I did say…10 years ago, … 5 years ago, even. But, I have some healing steps still to take in walking in this wondrous truth that He delights in Stephanie.

And yet…, I can see just a glimpse of this truth as I imagine this loving Father … around me, within me, beside me, beneath me… knowing my dream, watching me fight with His name and His armor. I can almost see the smile across His face and His “well done” or “good job, sweet heart” look on His delighted face. I can almost see it clearly.

He will quiet you with His love.

Quieted with His love... this love, God’s love, …so perfect, so unexplainable and unfathomable. This is where we find rest for our souls. This love can cast out all fear and guard our hearts and minds from all anxiety. He speaks His love over us and we are at rest, we are quiet. Can't you just see a loving mother, holding her well-loved child in her lap. This mother’s presence and love is all this child needs to find peace, rest and quiet.

He will rejoice over you with singing.

What does it look like or sound like when God sings!? If the Welsh coast line, the snow covered mountains, the newly budded flowers of spring or the newborn baby is any indication, it must be phenomenal! He rejoices… God, the Father, rejoices over you. Over me. And when He rejoices over you, He sings! He breaks forth in a song. What a thought?! I can hardly even write the words. Oh! May they sink into my soul.

I believe I could live the rest of my life just feasting on these words alone…
“The Lord you God is with you, He is mighty to save!
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save!
He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing! The Lord your God is with you!”

Thank you, Lord for your Word. I praise you Father for your Presence and I worship you, claiming that your are Almighty… the Mighty One who saves. Thank you Lord for Your love and the depths of it… thank you that your love includes delight over me and singing! Oh Lord, my Father, my sweet God, would you sink this truth deep into my heart, mind and soul. May I walk as one loved in this way, believing it fully!