"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Friday, April 16, 2010

Before

Earlier this week, I was at the coast with my family walking the dog on the beach and rocks. 
In a quiet moment, when kids and dog played happily, my attention was caught by the sight of the massive cliffs behind us. 
Amazing sight! 
Beautiful.
I was struck in that moment with the bigness of the cliff walls, jutting up from the ground. I was struck by their solidness, firmness, timelessness. I couldn't help but think about the fact that those cliffs have been there... sitting beautifully like that... for many, many years. 
Before me! Before my plans. Before my yesterday and my tomorrow. Long before I was ever born, they were there-- much the same.
I asked the Lord in that moment, while awed by the cliffs, "What is going on in my heart, Father? What is it You want to say to me?"
I knew instantly what He wanted to whisper in my heart, "I was before these!" 
Before.
"He is before all things and in Him all things hold together"(Col. 1:17). This was the sweet phrase from Scripture that was "singing" in my head Thursday and Friday as the Father continued to strength and assure my heart of His goodness, His sovereignty and His love. As security and strength rises within my soul, I am know it is from His hand.

This "before" God that I worship, serve and love stands firm and unmoved. Jesus says in John 8, "I tell you the truth,before Abraham was born, I am!" Before me. Before Abraham. Before the cliffs on my beach coast. He is.
He was, He is and He always will be.

Thank you loving Father for being who You are!! You are the beginning and the end. You are the before and the after. You will always be! You are so solid and I am secure trusting in You. I worship You this moment and say that You are before all things and in You all things hold together! You are Forevermore!

Almighty God, who art ever present in the world without me, in my spirit within me, and in the world above me, let me carry with me through this day's life a most real sense of Thy power and Thy glory. O God, forbid that I should look today upon the work of Thy hands and give no thought to Thee the Maker. Let the heavens declare Thy glory to me and the hills Thy majesty. Let every fleeting lovliness I see speak to me of the loveliness that does not fade."
(John Baillie, from "A Diary of Private Prayer")