"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Monday, April 19, 2010

The Skylark

Yesterday we were introduced to the skylark. He rises up above the nest he has built on the ground, hidden and safe, and into the sky he flies. High up, he hovers over his nest and sings a beautiful song. His song is meant to attract a mate... he is saying to anyone who can hear him, "Aren't I beautiful! Look at me! Look at me!" Over his prepared nest below he calls out to his beloved, "Come, I have a place for you! I made a nest for you!" He sings and hovers high. And his song truly beautiful. Right now I am listening to one of my favorite piano soloists (Kevin Kern) and his songs, beautiful in their own right, can not compete to the lively, sing-songy, bright song of the skylark.

Today on our prayer walk we heard the skylark. We heard his song high above us. Like a beautiful piano solo, the skylark sang with boldness and confidence. We stopped. We listened. "There he is!", my husband said. "The skylark!" Oh, we now know his song! We stopped and looked. With crooked necks, and shaded eyes, we looked into the blue sky hoping to spot him in flight. His song melodically continued, filling the whole field with music. We knew he was near. ...Maybe he was right above us! But, try as we might, we could not find him in the sky. He was there... we heard his music, but we couldn't see him.

I need to stop and listen more. I need to learn the song of my Lord... listen for it, stop, look and hope to see Him. More and more, Lord. You, Father God, cry out, "Look at me! Aren't I beautiful!" I am here, you say, even if you can't see me. Listen for me, you say. Come, find me, I have a place for you! Look. Listen for my voice, you say. Oh, Father, teach me Your song.