"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Friday, June 12, 2009

Bags, bags and more bags

What size should we buy? How many do we need? We have done this so many times, you would think that we have it down to a science, right? Nope. We still discuss. Disagree. Agree. Buy. And take back.

Walmart runs. Internet research. Target runs. Oh, and now we are moving up to Kohl's.

The backpacks for the kiddos broke on our trip back to the States and we are down to only a few duffels because they got beat up in New York. New York can be so mean! ...And so we buy. How big? How many? Will this one, when full, weigh more than the required 50 lbs? Oh! That reminds me that I need to borrow Grandma's scale so we can weight the bags.

And the the list goes on and on.

Packing is never a fun or easy part of this fabulous life God has called our family. Not fun. Not easy, but very necessary. So, we list make, we plan, we pack, we unpack and then re-pack. We weigh. We get angry and then we repack to weigh again! We laugh. We cry. We pray. We discuss. And we keep packing!

As I write this post, I have a song playing in the background. Amy Nobels is singing, "Ask and I will give you the Nations... Oh Lord, that is the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see You Light as it rises on us. You said, Ask and I will give the Nations to you. Oh, Lord, that is the cry of my heart!" What a good reminder to my soul, my heart and my mind... This is why we are doing what we are doing! All this packing and all these harried "lists" are in some crazy way for Your Glory, Lord.

May we do these things as unto You alone! May we pack, repack, buy bags and weigh our luggage all to Your glory. Fill my heart with a knowledge of Your Presence, Your Honor and Your glory. It is all for you, Lord. You and Your promises to the Nations.