"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

No Matter What

"No matter what. Wherever you go... What ever you do... Who ever you become... I will always love you." Dave has been whispering this same statement into my children's ears for most of their lives. They can finish the statement. They listen, they smile and then he gets to the last part they often say with him, "I will always love you."

As I sat with the Lord this evening, these words invaded my time with Him like a warm, powerful wind. You see, I am very accustomed to relying on my works, my purity, my right choices and my goodness to get God's favor. Some of the hardest times for me are when I sit before the Lord after a period (short or long) of being "away". I haven't been away for long and I didn't run too far, but my heart has been inclined to wander, to worry and to worship other things this past week. I have sat with Him many times this week and yet,... often only moments after arising from my "quiet time" my heart if far away. Disobedient. Tired. Disinterested. Grumpy and Complaining. Worried. Frustrated.

So, I came to my Father tonight with my head bent low and a "I am sorry" feeling engulfing my soul. Oh, Lord, how do you put up with me, my heart said to Him. It was then that this "Daddy" mantra came to my mind...

No matter what! No matter where you go, what you do or who you become... I will always love you.

I don't questions Dave's love for his children and I don't distrust this truth that he speaks into their hearts each night before bed. I can see him daily following through on this promise. I can easily imagine him following through on his promise through the years. So, why do I question God and what He says?
"I will always be with you", He says. "If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11: 13) The Holy Spirit is what He gives to us to seal His promise of forever love!

As I sit here and think on this very concept I am moved to worship. What a Father we have! What a loving, good and kind Father! I praise you tonight Lord for You are the Faithful One. You, my Father, are Love and I adore you. Thank you for loving me no matter what!