"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

No Monkeys but a Smile

Today I saw no monkeys on my walk. I went out in expectation. (see why I expected to see them from my entry yesterday entitled "Monkeys and Thomas") My eyes were fixed upward, looking intently for the monkey family I watched yesterday. No monkeys. I saw no monkeys today and it made me smile.


The lessons of God's presence are always surprising me. He reminded me this morning that even when I look for Him, I won't always see Him. He is always there... Always present... always at work. But, He reminded me that I may not see Him each time I look. And, that is okay. Today I knew the monkeys were there. I didn't inwardly doubt their existence as I had been doing the days previous. I had seen them! They were most definitely there! I smiled because in the presence AND the absence of the monkeys, God had a lesson for my heart. I smiled because He is always speaking to me when I look for Him. I smiled because the hidden monkeys were eating, jumping or grabbing branches somewhere...


I want to look more for God... all day. I want to keep my eyes fixed upward and out, looking intently for Him. I want to expect to see Him and I want to trust Him when I don't.

When I pray, I want to know that He is working. I want to trust His constant, faithful work in my life and in those I pray for. Reading this morning, I feel upon this statement that just added to this recent theme: "Prayer cannot be measured on a scale of success and failure because it is God's work---and God always succeeds" ~Michael Casey

Lord teach me to look out and up. Lord keep speaking to me. May I hear Your voice all day long, in power or in stillness. When you shout or when you are still, I want to hear You.
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen!" Ephesians 3:20,21