"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Unaware

I watched from the window as a large, colorful, beautiful butterfly landed on the swing only feet away from my children while they played. They were deep in their "own world", engaged in a play-world that only they would understand. 
  
They were totally unaware of the beauty that had come to visit our garden.

My children love nature. They love all things green and alive. They would have loved to see the butterfly. They love seeing the birds come to our bird feeder and watching the snails find their way to our garden swing. They would have really enjoyed that butterfly. But, I knew that by the time I got outside, got their attention and showed them, it would have been long gone. 
  
So, I watched them as they missed the visitor. He came and went without notice.
  

As I watched this I was struck with how often we miss things. When do I miss beautiful visitors?
  
I live my life so often with my head down, my eyes focused and my hands at work, that I am certain I miss so many beautiful things. 
  
Today while talking with my husband, I happened to glance over his shoulder and saw (in broad daylight) the moon sitting in the sky. There was the moon, plain and clear, in the blue, cloud-dotted sky. "Oh, yeah!" I thought, "The moon is always there... even when I am unaware." The sun is still shining when the daylight has gone. The moon and stars are still in their course when the blue sky and light blur them from view.
  

While pondering that moon in broad daylight, a thought came on me like a ray of light. I remembered Jacob's dream in Genesis. On his journey, Jacob rested his head on a pillow of stone. As he fell asleep, he had a dream. In the dream he saw angels and God. When he woke from this dream he says something profound, "Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it." Genesis 28
  

Surely the Lord is in this place. And, I was not aware of it.
  

How often am I unaware of God's presence. How often do I miss Him. How often do I miss His sweet visits, His gifts... I get caught in my own "play-world" and I know that God, at times, has difficulty getting my attention! I know that He is always there... much like the moon, ever-present, but not always seen. How often do I miss His presence?

If my children had gone into the garden in search of butterflies they may have seen the sweet visitor. If I looked each day for the moon, would I see it? What if I watched and kept my head up... would I see God more?
  

Oh, Lord, I want to see You more. I want to be more and more aware of Your presence. Surely You are in this place... and I am unaware. Open my eyes. Open my ears and open my heart to see You, Your gifts, Your beauty.