"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Friday, January 6, 2012

Another book for my Best Friend

photo source 
Her birthday was coming and I couldn't think of what to get her.  I wanted something personal.  I wanted to give her something special, close, connected, ...something tender.  So, I made her a book---my sweet friend.  I made a scrapbook to celebrate her.

It wasn't hard or a chore, it was a delight.  Truly.  I treasure her friendship in my life and so it brought much joy to find pictures and write a bit about her.

And, when it came to describing her, the words came easily.  I could easily have listed 10 more words to describe my friend.  I couldn't have done this five years ago.  I knew her then, yes, but our knowledge of each other has grown past simple knowledge, or the light friendship we had five years ago.

These days, we talk a lot, this friend and me.  And, we are in each other's lives a lot.  I am beginning to learn what she might say, or think or feel in any given circumstances.  Learning, that is---because she is complex and the learning opportunities never end.  But, that said, finding words to describe her is easy.  I know her more and so putting a few words on a page to describe her was a breeze.

This is what I want in my relationship with God.  I know Him.  I believe I know Him well.  Certainly I know Him much more than I did 20 years ago when we first met!  But, there is still so much to know about Him.  And, I long to know Him that much more!

As I set my sails toward "the knowledge of God" this year, I have started a new habit.  I took a chunk from the back pages of my journal and relegated them to the collection of data---data about God.  Words, phrases, ideas.  As I journey through Scripture this year, it is my goal to write down (maybe daily, even) what I find out about Him.  Just one word, or phrase, at a time.

I tried this just once yesterday, reading Isaiah 55 and filled a half of a page of different words to describe who He is.  What fun!

So, just as I did for my friend, I guess I am making another book---of sorts--- for Best Friend.  My God.

To celebrate Him.  And, to know Him better.  My sweet Friend.  My kind Father.  My ever present Counselor.  My savior.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...