"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Thursday, January 12, 2012

His Light to keep from steppin' in...

So I went on a walk this morning.

It wasn't too early, just dark.  ...So goes the winter-life of anyone who lives this high in the Northern Hemisphere!    But, I figured, "No worries, I know the path.  I know the way."  And, I do.

As I started my walk into the dark, I had this sense that I was in a dream.  I don't know if it was the half-light of the breaking morning, but it felt like a dream state.  Until...

Until, I stepped in poo.

Yes, you read that right.  Poo.



Now, I know this road that I take most mornings fairly well.  So, I could easily surmise that this patch was horse poo.  I have side stepped it other times successfully.  ...it was only a guess, really.

Though my walk was not pitch black, the dawning sun and the street lights helped to light my eyes, my foot path was not lit.  I could see ahead, but I couldn't see my feet very well.  But, I could feel as I stepped, to be sure.  And, I most certainly stepped in poop!  For, stepping in poo feels very different than stepping on cement or asphalt.

I continued on, though, (bravery at its best!)...what is a little poo on a well-worn, mud-covered hiking boot, right?

So, I kept walking and entered the fields near our home.  And, try as I might, I kept stepping on poo.

Over and over!  Was it cow poo--- that one felt like a cow pie underfoot!?  Was it sheep's poop, dog's poop?  They all do feel different, not to be too graphic (smile).  And, they all feel different than the squidgy mud in the field, as well.

But, I just couldn't help myself.   I just couldn't see my foot's way.  I wasn't lost.  Seeing my walking path wasn't too hard in the dim light, just seeing my every step was a bit difficult.  Well, difficult enough to step multiple times in poo.

So, why am I telling you this?

The song that came to mind as I trudged through the muck and the mire of my darkened walk was, "Light of the word, You came down into darkness.  Opened my eyes, let me see.  Beauty that made this heart adore You.  Hope of a life spent with You!"

I trudged and sang into the dawn:  "Light of the word!!"  ...in this dark morning who would hear me but God!  I walked and stepped and trudged and sang.

And, I remembered the lessons of late--- I can do nothing with out Him.  I may think I know the way.  And, certainly I know enough in my Christian walk to not get "lost".  But, if I don't have Him, I can certainly step in some good 'ol yucky poop!!  ...and, I would really rather not.  You?

Jesus, I am desperate for your light.  I am desperate for Your guidance every day... all day!  You light my footpath, You light my every step.  Help me not to walk on without You today.