"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Monday, April 11, 2011

Noses and Lips

Have you ever noticed the variety and kinds of noses on the faces of those around you?

Riding on a train for 3 hours gives you much time to watch and pray. As we pulled into one station, I was (quite randomly) struck by one woman's lips. I know that sounds odd. It is odd. But none-the-less, her lips struck me as interesting. Was it the lipstick? The shape? I don't know. But, being struck and in a mood of prayer, I began to ask the Lord to open my eyes more and more to His creativity!


The rest of my journey from home to Hong Kong became a fun quest, an adventure, to notice all the different lips that God created! He is so very creative!


I love the creativity of our Father. He hasn't just made one, two or three types of lips. Variety is His specialty. He delights, I believe, in the beauty of variety. And, from our lips ...to the shape of our noses... He has made us all, each one, unique and beautiful.


I have the opportunity to teach a bit this week and share from the book Sacred Pathways by Gary Thomas. In this book, the author explores the many Biblical (and historical) ways that we can connect, worship and learn from God. Given that our Christian goal is to glorify God, to know Him and to obey His calling on our lives, Gary Thomas, "insists that it’s better to discover the path God designed you to take--a path marked by growth and fulfillment, based on your unique temperament." I love this!


I love the idea that God, Almighty God maker of heaven and earth, creates each of uniquely. ...from noses... to lips... to our personalities and temperaments. And, then invites us to seek Him, learn from Him, know Him and connect with Him in unique ways.


There is not one "one-size fits all" method of spiritual growth or "quiet times". We are unique. He is relational. And, in our uniqueness, ...and with His relationalness, our relationship with Him will look different from one to another. ...just as different as the lips or noses on our faces.