"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Initiator!

Walking along the road... sad, confused, lost, ... He joins them. (Luke 24:13). It says that Jesus, the Risen Jesus, came up alongside them and walked with them. They were not looking for Him. He came after them.

My God is the great Initiator!

In the garden, after sin and the fall, Adam and Eve are embarrassed, shamed and hiding. They were hiding from God. They were running from God ... certainly NOT looking for Him. But, He seeks them out. He looks for them. He draws near. (Gen. 3)

He is the gentle Seeker!

Rejected, mistreated and running away, she goes out to the desert. She is ready to die. (Genesis 16) God sees her. He approaches her and talks with her. He seeks her out.

My Father is the One Who Sees!

In exhaustion God's prophet falls to the ground in exhaustion and fear (1 Kings 19). He isn't seeking God. He is just tired. But, God feeds him. God sustains him. God continues to pursue him and talks to him.

He is the feeding Sustainer!

Story after story. Life after life. Time after time, my Father pursues and seeks. He draws near and calls out. He initiates, He sees, and He sustains.

The men that day on the road to Emmaus were not looking for Jesus. (Luke 24) And, when Jesus came to them, they didn't see him. They didn't recognize their Lord and friend. I wonder what kept their eyes from seeing him that day?

What keeps my eyes from seeing Him as He pursues me each day? His gifts, in abundance, are constantly poured out and lavished on me. Sometimes I just miss it. I want to see it more!

Father, I want to respond to you today. I want to see you and hear your voice today! Open my eyes to Your pursuit, Your love! I want my heart to burn with the knowledge of Your voice, Your touch, Your Presence all day today!

"Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road..." Luke 24:32