"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My place in space

"A noiseless, patient spider, I mark'd, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated; Mark'd how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding, It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself; Ever unreeling them--ever tirelessly speeding them. And you, O my Soul, where you stand, Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space, Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing,--seeking the spheres, to connect them; Till the bridge you will need, be form'd--till the ductile anchor hold; Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul" ~Walt Whitman

Sometimes my thoughts are endless. The distractions and wanderings of my mind are constant. I have been asking to learn. And, I AM learning to "catch" somewhere, to throw my thought-threads into the lap of God and cling to Him; but, it isn't easy.

The journey toward unending, unceasing prayer is a long and curvy road. I know that Scripture admonishes me to "take all my thoughts captive in obedience to Christ" and to "pray without ceasing". So, I know it is possible. This side of heaven, I believe it is possible... it is, in the least, a destination I can journey toward.

I sat and prayed today for quite a while. I was asking the Father for many things, interceeding as I intended (and believe He was leading) and then ... I wasn't praying. For how long had the thoughts been wandering, worrying, wondering? For how long had I thrown my "thought thread" out and it hadn't caught or anchored down in Jesus?

I want to learn to be like that noisless, patient spider. One goal. One spot. ...perservering and mark'd in my place in this vast space--- focused on Him!

Teach me to pray, Lord Jesus. Teach me to weave my thoughts around You and to anchor all thread, all wanderings, all musings in You and on You. Teach me, I pray.