"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Monday, March 15, 2010

It was just a card...

It was just a card I wrote quickly.

Walking to church on Sunday, I took the birthday card and slipped it in my neighbor's mail slot. I didn't think much about it really... it was just a card.

Today when she saw me, she ran over to me with such an expression on her face! "I just have to give you a hug!" she said and hugged me... this new friend, this neighbor I have known now for only 7 months. She hugged me and said my card had nearly brought her to tears. I was so confused, I am sure my face betrayed me. My card? ... nearly brought tears?... it was just a card!!?

And then she said something that melted my heart instantly and made me want to hug her again. She said, "I don't think anyone has ever said those things to me... I don't think anyone has ever thought that about me!" In that moment, I just wanted to take her in my arms for a big, long hug--- this new friend. No one!? Really?!

What had I written?... simply, I had told her that I was celebrating her. I told her that I was glad that God had made her. I told her that she was a dear, new friend and that her warmth and friendship was special to me. That is it. It was just a simple card. Nothing fancy... no long drawn out words or poetry. No rhyme or verse... just a quick card that I wrote from my heart to her.

Is it really possible that no one has ever expressed to her that they are glad she was made!? Is it possible that no one has ever told her how special and loved she is?

Well, as long as I am her neighbor and friend this will be my goal!

I believe that God has made this sweet woman and loves her dearly. I believe with all my heart that He rejoices over her with singing and I will make it one of my goals to tell her as often as possible. Oh, that one day she may come to know that sweet, sweet love of the Father!

This, my new, dear neighbor friend is my new goal! I don't want it to be an odd or abnormal thing for you to hear that you are loved. I don't want it to be a shock to your system to hear you are special and created by the Father of heaven and earth.

It is amazing what just a card can do! In a simple card, a kind gesture, or with a word... I want you to know!

Lord, by your grace, help me to love her with Your unending, undying, unfailing and strong love.