"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Soul refreshment.

Another blog that I frequent asked it's readers to list five thing that are "good for the soul"... soul refreshing. I easily listed my five and since I have been coming up with more and more! I don't know how many I have thought of, but I thought I might list them here as I process this important question.


1. A good, long conversation about the heart with a friend (or even better, my best friend, husband).

2. An uninterrupted nap.

3. A cup of coffee and an encouraging book... a long moment to sit, alone and read quietly.

4. Laughing about something very silly and random with my kids.

5. A walk along the water's edge.

6. Morning quiet in God's word and prayer.

7. A chatty email from a friend.

8. A physical touch when you are being prayed for.

9. A surprise phone call that took effort... from one country to the other---time zones and money to consider.

10. A "just because" gift from a friend.

11. A report of answered prayer.

12. Worship music when preparing dinner or cleaning the kitchen.

13. Watching my kids serve each other without being asked.

14. Sleeping in on a Saturday.

15. A fun board game with my kids.

16. Gazing at the stars on a clear night.

17. Organizing a kitchen cupboard or cleaning out my closet.

18. Hearing my children singing worship songs while getting ready for school.

19. Reading an encouraging blog that reminds me of who God is and who I am in Him.

20. Practicing piano and learning to play a new song.

21. When God's word just "jumps off the page" and when the mundane become alive with the knowledge of His presence.

22. Watching a 70-something man in my church lift his hands in worship at church.

Okay, I have to stop now or this is going to get very long!

What are the things that refresh your soul, I wonder?

Thank you Lord for the many good things You fill our lives with! Thank you Father for refreshing my soul. You are my source of life, hope and joy. All these things are from Your hand.