"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Monday, October 10, 2011

Join the "Hymn" of Thanksgiving


For home school this morning we read from Then Sings My Soul by Robert Morgan:  a beautiful book that shares the stories of 150 classic hymns:
  "An old English preacher once said, "A grateful mind is a great mind," and the Bible agrees.  There are 138 passages of Scripture on the subject of thanksgiving...  Colossians 3:17 says:  And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him"  I Thessalonians 5:18 adds, "In everything give thanks, this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.'" (p. 17)
We read about a hymn of thanksgiving written in the midst of the most dire circumstances.  Poverty, sickness, and death surrounded the writer of "Now Thank We All Our God"   ...the man who wrote this hymn was certainly practicing Paul's command to "Rejoice always!"

Today, I join others in a "hymn of thanksgiving" at www.aholyexperience.com.  Joining Ann Voskamp and others, I continue counting, on my way to logging 1,000 gifts of love and grace from God.  For, I agree, a grateful mind is a great mind."  I want my mind to be great with gratitude!

Here is a portion of my list from this last week:

#945.  A good, healthy "fight" with my husband.  Good resolution, healthy conflict, forgiveness...  connection and closeness.  Understanding.

946.  Freedom to sleep in on Saturday!

947.  Helpful customer service.

948.  Hair products as a testimony of Father's kind love to a friend.

950.  "Yes, Mommy!"  said with joy and obedience.

951.  Wind that howls outside.

952.  That good ol "cried wolf" story told by Daddy to make a point.

953.  Evening walk with my family.

954.  Berries off the bushes for dessert.

955.  Silly (stupid) movies that harmless and funny.

956.  Classic literature that moves me.

959.  Leaving dishes in the sink with joy and freedom.  They don't scream at me as loudly!

960.  Plans made with friends.

961.  Beautiful, handmade birthday cards made for Grandma.

961.  A rainy walk with my son and then a close cuddle on the couch to warm up with a book.