"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Absolutely Anything but God

It is amazing how easily man will choose most anything but Almighty God.

I just listened to a podcast.  This program is produced by a few people I know well and love deeply.  So, I listened intently... enjoying just hearing their voices.

The topic: random conversation about science and medicine.

As I listened to their discussions which included topics of quantum mechanics and the human brain, the further into the podcast I listened, the sadder I became.   Deeply sad.

In one way or another they were actually stating that science shows that we are not the center of the universe.  In their opinions, medical and scientific study seem to prove this earth and what we see before us is not everything there is.  There is more.  They excitedly discussed that we are most certainly part of something bigger, ...much bigger, than ourselves.    

Bigger than me.  Bigger than my life.  What a great, profound, and comforting truth!

But, in this podcast they were willing to describe this "other" as anything, absolutely anything, other than God.    There was a grand discussion, lively debate, about the fact that it is a real possibility that we could be living in a computer simulation.  ...manipulated or influenced by an intelligent being(s), or another intelligent civilization.

Computer simulation?  Really?  ...you open your eyes, you see the evidence that medicine and science point to... the fact that we are complex and there is so much more than what we see...  and you decide your best guess is that we are a part of some mad scientist's experiment, or a computer simulation.

Why o' why?  Why can't the eye-opened wonder, these undeniable facts of a universe that is vast and complex, ...lead you, or at least allow you, to conclude that we have a Maker.  And maybe, just maybe, that Maker is loving and kind.  Powerful and good.

Discussions were had about studies that show the human brain's ability to affect the universe.  Apparently studies show that when groups of people think 'together' on the same thing they can clearly make changes to circumstance.  What might this be?  Clearly, according to these friends, it is the brain's capacity when joined with other brains to send thoughts into the universe... the computer... and have an impact.  ? ? ?  Really?

 Could this be prayer?  Could it be, just could it be, that there is a loving Father in heaven that listens to the requests of His children and works on their behalf. This hypothesis would not be tolerated, to be sure, in the very scientific (non religious) discussion.

Ugh.  And Sigh...  I just feel sad.

These incredibly intelligent, clearly genius minds... and I mean that with sincerity and honestly,... are just missing it.  Why won't you even consider it?

They just seem to be willing to consider so many other possibilities except God.  Anything but God.

And I can't convince them.  And, science can't convince them.  And, discussion doesn't convince them... they have to meet Him.

That is what I ask for today.  I pray.  May they have a real, in-your-face, can't deny, deep and significant encounter with the Bigger than Life Creator, my Father.

******
After posting this yesterday, I read in a lovely book, The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald a beautiful conversation between Irene, the princess, and her grandmother... ...where her grandmother kindly rebukes her with these words:  "People must believe what they can, and those who believe more must not be hard upon those who believe less.  I doubt if you would have believed it all yourself if you hadn't seen some of it."  

And, like Irene, I respond to this rebuke,  "Ah!  yes, grandmother, I dare say.  I am sure you are right."