"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Heavy Laden

This last week I heard some hard news. Someone I care deeply about is ill, in pain and in need of major surgery. Last night the burden of this sad news felt too much to bear. I found myself almost physically pushed down with sadness for this person. I was heavy laden.

During my morning shower, as I soaked the sadness off and tried to shake the darkness from the previous day... the Lord brought to mind a simple verse. "Cast your cares on me, for I care for you." What a sweet thought! What light to my heart and mind! I can lift off the sadness, the pain and the burden and hand it... no!... I can cast it on the Father. Off of me and on to Him. He cares for me. He cares for me.

So, just as the kind friends brought their sick friend to Jesus on the stretcher in that wonderful gospel story, I can hand... no!... cast, throw, toss my dear one into the arms of my loving, strong and able Father. These friends brought their sick one to Jesus. Jesus noticed and He touched. He forgave and He healed. All His business. Not mine.

My job is to bear another's burden, yes, but only just a short distance, a short walk to Jesus. His shoulders are much stronger than mine and He cares for me... and her.
Lord, thank you for the kindness of Your care. You tell us that when we are heavy laden we can come to you and find rest. I have found rest in You, Father.