"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

From Nothing

We started school yesterday. For weeks now, I have been a bit apprehensive about the load and feeling overwhelmed by the task of schooling my children. It was a sluggish start for me and the kids. Almost instantly, my mood began to shift when we read the first few pages of our science book. My heart was lifted with hope. We are studying the 7 days of creation. We will look very closely at each day, spending weeks studying the science of each created thing. The book began by explaining that God created our earth from nothing. Void. Formless. There was nothing and then He spoke... and there was.

Something from nothing. This is the phrase that jumped off the page at me. I remembered it again this morning as I sat with the Lord. God is the only One who can create something from nothing and He does it all the time! I certainly can't do it. Seriously, though! Often when I try to create something from something, I fail! But, God can take nothing and make something. In fact, He not only makes something... He can make something extraordinary, complex and beautiful. This gave my heart hope.

This amazing, creative Father can be trusted with my moods, my tasks, my relationships, my schedule. He can create from nothing... and make something. And all the somethings He makes are good! It reminds me of lessons learned last year from Beth Moore's fruit of the Spirit series, ..."With God, I can feel what I don't feel. I can do what I can't do. I can be what I can't be."

Where there is NO strength He can create strength. Where there is NO faith, He can create faith. Where there is no purity, He can create a clean heart. Where there is no hope, He can create hope. He is constantly creating, renewing, restoring, redeeming and making all things beatiful in His time.

Today, I am excited to school my kids this morning! Where there was no excitement, He has created excitement. Thank you, Lord!

You are my only hope, O God! And, what an awesome God you are!