"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Thursday, May 5, 2011

It is better...

So, I went to a funeral today.

I didn't know the man myself, but went to support and show love to a friend. And, I am so glad I did.

There is something so true about Solomon's advice in Ecclesiastes 7:2: "It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."

Not to be morbid, but it does a heart good to contemplate death. Truly, it does a soul good to remember the fragility of life here on earth.

I took it to heart today.

The preacher reminded us all that we each and every one have at least two things in common: 1). We never really expect to die, or expect the death of those we love. and, 2). We all die.

We all die.

All death... even those you know are on the edge... all death is a bit of a shock. All death surprises us. All death doesn't feel right. It is never the right time. You never have "enough" time with someone that you love. Not really.

I was reminded today that life here on earth, this body... this earth... is just a whisper.
David in Psalm 39 says, "You have made my days a mere hand-breadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. Selah" A breath. That's all.

As I type this, I stop to take a breath. In and out I breathe... each breath so short.

David end's this statement of truth with "Selah". Selah can mean "to pause, to think about. To measure... to wait. To praise".

You have made my days a mere hand-breadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. Selah

Selah... I can say to my Father, my Maker.

My life is short. My days are numbered. My years are few. Life here on earth is only a breath. ...only a whisper. Selah, Father. I pause. I sit and wait in this thought.

I pause. I am silent with the thought.
I worship.

...so thankful that I had the privilege to attend a funeral today.