"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Stolen Moment

Sometimes I just get really tired. Today I felt this way.

There are days when my body, my mind and my soul feel fatigued. This morning I felt this way.

Things to do. People to see. Places to go. Things to do....
When I feel exhausted I tend to begin to disengage and I can be easily frustrated or agitated. This morning I felt this way.

As the morning moved on, I felt the angst increasing and my head just felt heavy. And, then, for a moment... a short moment, maybe 10 minutes... I found myself alone in the kitchen. And, in that moment, I felt I had a choice. I truly felt the call, or invitation of the Lord, to sit with Him. I knew He was giving me a "stolen moment" with Him.

And, I took it.

There were many things I could have chosen to do instead. I could have made my hands, my mind and my heart busy with many things. But, today I chose wisely. I chose the one needful thing! (and, I write this as a statement of victory, because frankly I don't often make that wise choice!)

I plopped my rear-end into the kitchen chair and just sat. ...purposefully. I sat in Him purposefully. I sat and worshiped Him. I reflected and prayerfully soaked in His love. I listened for His voice. I asked for His forgiveness. I asked for His help and His filling, His Spirit. I spoke out (quietly!) words of Truth and who I am in Christ. With Christ's name, I fought a few spiritual battles and told that "angst and frustration" to take a hike if it was from my enemy.

10 minutes given to me as a gift. 10 minutes of stillness. 10 minutes of a love-feast, a stolen moment, a rendezvous with my God. 10 minutes of "the one needful thing" and I was at peace.

What a God we have! What a Father! What a Savior and Friend! What a Counselor and Healer!

I was at peace. ...still a little tired, yes; but, filled and at peace. And, this wasn't taken from me all day today.

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many thing but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41,42

"The real problem of the Christian life comes where people do not usually look for it.

It comes the very moment you wake up each morning. A

ll your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals.

And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back, in listening to that Other voice, taking that other point of view…

Letting that Other larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in.

And so on, all day.

Standing back from all your natural fussings and frettings and c

oming in out of the wind.” ~C.S. Lewis